Skip to content

I am a holder of an indefinite visa, and we already requested one for our baby who was born in the UK. I need to know what kind of visa is required for our child who was born to Indian parents.

As a baby born to NRI parents, no country visa applicable for entry into India is required.

NRIs planning to visit India must have an OCI card, which is a smart card which serves as a life-long multiple entry visa to visit India. Applicants must be physically present in the country of issuance to get the OCI through the Indian Mission/FRRO in their current region. Parents of babies born in England can request a British passport for the baby. However, the Government of India and Consulate General of India do not permit dual citizenship. Therefore Indian citizenship must be renounced. Since both parents are Indian, your baby is eligible for the OCI scheme (unless from Bangladesh and Pakistan) since he/she is the minor child of parents who are eligible. NRIs and PIOs can apply for OCI/PIO cards through the Indian visa application process online.

A fee of £194 applies for such submission abroad.